Niagara County, NY – The spirit of giving back was the theme of the Niagara Wine Trail USA’s “Share the Bounty” event, held Veterans Day weekend, November 7-10. Twenty wineries along the wine trail raised funds and non-perishable items for local charities and food banks. The combined efforts of the wineries raised over $10,500 – a record-breaking amount – with an estimated over 1,120 non-perishable items being donated.
“We are just overjoyed with the generosity that we saw during Share the Bounty this year,” says Elizabeth Maute, Trail Coordinator. “We raised more than we ever have as a trail. It feels good to give back to the communities that support us during the year.”
The event encourages each winery on the trail to pick a charity or worthy 501(c)(3) cause within the community to donate proceeds from wine tasting sales collected during that weekend. In addition to wine tasting fees being donated, several wineries along the trail were serving this year as drop-off locations for the local “Peanut Butter & Jelly Drive” in Niagara County, which continues to run through the first week of December.
The charities that benefited from Share the Bounty, and the participating wineries, are listed below:
• A Gust of Sun Winery: WNY Heroes organization and local food bank.
• ArrowheadSpring Vineyards: Meals on Wheels.
• BlackBird Cider Works: Equi-Star Therapeutic Riding Center
• Black Willow Winery: Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome Association (RSDSA)
• Chateau Niagara Winery: North Tonawanda Meals on Wheels and Lockport Salvation Army
• Eveningside Vineyards: Love Center in Buffalo
• Flight of Five Winery: St. John’s Outreach in Lockport
• Freedom Run Winery: Lockport Meals on Wheels
• Honeymoon Trail Winery: Mercy Flight
• Lake Ontario Winery: Crohns and Colitis Foundation
• Leonard Oakes Estate Winery: Food Link
• Long Cliff Winery & Vineyards: Cambria Fire Company
• Midnight Run Wine Cellars: Stroke Awareness
• Niagara Landing Wine Cellars: Disabled American Veterans Chapter 120 and Peanut Butter & Jelly Drive
• Schulze Vineyards & Winery: Newfane Community food pantry
• Schwenk Wine Cellars: Kendall Community Food Cupboard
• Spring Lake Winery: Roswell Park Leukemia Division
• The Winery at Marjim Manor: Barker Food Pantry and Peanut Butter & Jelly Drive
• Victorianbourg Wine Estate: Wilson Community Food Pantry at St. Brendan-on-the-Lake Church, Wilson NY.
• Vizcarra Vineyards: Gasport Zion Lutheran Church food bank
The Niagara Wine Trail will hold next year’s Share the Bounty event November 13–15, 2015. For more information on the Niagara Wine Trail USA, member wineries, and a schedule of upcoming events, please visit www.niagarawinetrail.org.
Elizabeth Maute / Niagara Wine Trail Coordinator