Niagara County, NY – The Niagara Wine Trail welcomed in spring this past weekend with the first of two weekends of wine and food pairing during the annual Taste of the Trail event.
With 11 wineries participating (half of the trail’s 22 members), the online advance ticket sales for week 1 (April 16 & 17) more than doubled from last year’s event. The sunny weather, combined with delicious mouth-watering pairings, made for an excellent weekend of wine tastings along the trail. With tickets to the event also being available at the door, the trail saw over 500 participants for the event.
The second weekend of the event, April 23 & 24, is expected to draw in many visitors as well. “We have over 300 tickets sold for the event this weekend, we except that number to continue to rise as the week goes on, and then except people to come the day of too and buy their tickets at the door,” says Elizabeth Maute, the trail’s media coordinator.
Participants can taste a different food sample paired with a wine at each participating winery. The Taste of the Trail runs April 23rd – 24th, this Saturday 10am-5pm, and Sunday 12pm-5pm.
Event tickets are $25/person in advance online until 9pm Thursday or $30/person at wineries during the event.
Each ticket includes a tasting of 3 wines and one food sample at each of the 11 participating wineries for that weekend, and a commemorative wine glass from your starting winery. The winery participation and food pairings are as follows:
April 23rd – 24th Participating Wineries:
- 810 Meadworks: “Ghost of Mary” cocktail made with the Royal Squeeze (mango/ghost pepper mead) and garnished with bacon and pickled asparagus.
- A Gust of Sun Winery Spencerport: Serving Fazool’s tortellini and white sauce paired with Three & Sweet Westies White Wines.
- Arrowhead Spring Vineyards: Cool Terroir Red Wine meets Mediterranean sunshine in this delightful pairing with D’Avolio’s Olive Oils!
- Eveningside Vineyards: Black & white cookies paired with newly released 2015 semi-dry Riesling.
- Flight of Five Winery: Mini Italian Beef Sandwiches paired with Canawler Red.
- Freedom Run Winery: Ceviche Cocktail – a colorful appetizer made up of fresh herbs and vegetables, marinated with a savory blend of lime juice, cilantro and white balsamic vinegar. Pair it with Freedom Blue, semi-dry Riesling.
- Lake Ontario Winery: Lake Ontario Vignoles and Semi-dry Cider both paired with our Apple/Pear Gorganzola Pizza.
- Leonard Oakes Estate Winery: Rustic cream of mushroom soup.
- Salamaca Winery: TBD
- Spring Lake Winery: Nana’s mini taco made with her special recipe, roasted red pepper, turkey, and extra virgin olive oil.
- Vizcarra Vineyards: Lomo Saltado Empanada (a Peruvian dish) paired with our Paso Fino wine.
Event attendees are welcome to visit different wineries each day in any order they choose. As a reminder, ticket prices do not include applicable sales tax or transportation.
Guests touring by bus or limo, regardless of size, should call the wineries in advance to make an appointment to alleviate congestion during this popular event.
A valid photo ID with proof of age over 21 is also required to participate in wine tasting.
For more information, wine events along the trail, and to purchase tickets, visit the Niagara Wine Trail online at www.NiagaraWineTrail.org.
For more information contact:
Elizabeth Maute, Wine Trail Media Coordinator